Your skin’s barrier is exactly that – a protective layer that keeps the good stuff in and the bad stuff out. A healthy barrier – known as the stratum corneum – is essential to keep your body functioning at its optimum. Without it, a variety of harmful environmental toxins could affect the rest of your body.
The SkinBase™ Beauty Guides
We’ve created a series of free beauty guides
on a range of skin conditions…
Discover the beauty guides
The Skin’s Barrier
The stratum corneum protects us from a host of daily irritants:
- Excess sun exposure
- Dry or humid environments
- Harsh chemicals
These free radicals are just some of the factors that can compromise your skin and leave you unprotected. If you suffer from dry, itchy, rough or discoloured skin, your skin’s barrier may not be functioning as it should be.
Protect and Restore
With a little time and effort, damage can be repaired. Simplify your skincare routine by using the SkinBase Skincare Essentials Set.
- Stick to a basic cleanse (be careful not to over-cleanse), tone & moisturise. Avoid any strong chemicals that may be weakening your skin’s barrier.
- Use lukewarm water (not too hot or too cold) during your skincare routine. A temperature that is too low or too high can irritate the skin.
- Leave exfoliation to the professionals. Once you have restored your skin’s barrier, keep it healthy and minimise the risk of any future problems. Have a regular SkinBase Microdermabrasion instead of risking over-exfoliation. Find a therapist.
- Try to minimise stress and get 8 hours of sleep every day. Research suggests that a combination of stress and lack of sleep may contribute to increase in water loss – and a damaged skin barrier.
Your skin’s barrier defends your entire body against environmental threats. It also maintains your body’s water balance at the same time. Any unusual symptoms will alert you to an imbalance – so make sure you treat any disturbance as soon as possible.